- INTRODUCTION OF VASTU SHASTRA
- RELEVANCE OF VASTU SHASTRA : RELIGIOUS APPROACH
- VASTU PURUSH, MANDALAS
- VASTU : THE SCIENCE OF DIRECTIONS
- VASTU PRINCIPLES & ITS EFFECTS
- SITE SELECTION,
- SHAPE OF PLOTS
- ORIENTATION OF PLOTS
- PRACTICAL APPROACH OF VASTU IN ARCHITECTURE
- DESIGNING TIPS
- VASTU IN RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS, COLONIES ETC.
- VASTU FOR COMMERCIAL & INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS
- CASE STUDIES & PRACTICAL REMEDIES
- VASTU & INTERIORS
- FENGSHUI : THE CHINESE SCIENCE.
- VASTU & LANDSCAPING
VASTU : AN INTRODUCTION (a scientific approach):
- VASTU : THE GEO ENERGY
- VASTU REVA VASTU – means all materials are forms of universal energies .
- The Earth is a living organism with a lot of consciousness permeating through every atom.
- Vastu teaches us to under stand the energy that surrounds us.
- Vastu teaches us ways to turn the energy into material forms.
- If we live in harmony with the subtle nature, both our physical and mental health will be safeguarded.
- “Energy is the very essence of life”
Important Elements of Energy are as follows:
- Gravitational forces
- Electro – magnetic radiations
- Strong nuclear force
- Weak nuclear force
- Pranic force or “Prana”
All these forces produce various types of energies – Potential, kinetic, magnetic, etc.
- Pranic energy is prevalent throughout the universe in every material of the world, solid, liquid, gas.
- Positive energy is beneficial and negative is harmful.
- Vastu aims at maximising the generation and accumulation of positive energy.
- Light : Sufficient natural light for comfortable living.
- Air : Pure fresh air continuously blowing in and out of the house.
- Water : For drinking and living.
- Energy: concentrating of different shapes and forms by using proper positive material.
The basic five elements:
- Prithivi: Earth
- Jal: Water
- Akash: Space
- Vaayu: Air
- Agni: Fire
- There is an invisible and constant relation between these elements used in making buildings.
- Through corrective measures, one can get the maximum benefit of the suitable forces of nature and the five elements.
- People live happily in pleasant atmosphere.
- Vastu principles make an attempt to get full benefit of nature’s bounty.
- Vastu brings mental peace, happiness, prosperity and good fate to human beings.
- Vastu is the Indian science of Architecture.
RELEVANCE OF VASTU SHASTRA: THE RELIGIOUS APPROACH
- In the ancient land of India, the text, Mayamata, written in Sanskrit nearly a thousand years ago, describes the science of architecture . That Embodies the earth as a place where both mortals and immortals live. It is called vastu shastra.
- The word vastu is derived from the word vasu, or the earth,
- Shastra, is defined as “science or technology”.
- Other translations define vastu to mean “the place where people dwell”.
- The place may be the earth, the land itself, or a structure where people may reside.
- Together, these words describe a methodo-logy of constructing a building a site that brings harmony and well-being to those who would dwell within.
- Vastushastra, the ancient architecture, has suddenly assumed tremendous significance.
- In this brief introduction, the intention is to give a broad overall picture of the vastushastra with some examples
- The the subject of vastu which means the environment. We can regard this as good practices of design of buildings and cities, which will provide , life in harmony with physical as well as metaphysical forces. This provides guidelines for design of buildings and planning of cities so that they will bring health, wealth and peace to the inhabitants.
- With the passing of the ages empires are created and destroyed, new cultures appear and then again fade, like changing seasons into the shadows of eternity. Vanishing into oblivion, all that remains of those that were once great and powerful in this world are but a handful of relics. Time, the destroyer of all things, vanquishes even the most invincible empires leaving behind their remnants to be marveled at by future civilizations. And marvel we do at the wonders of the past, especially the architectural wonders. Be it the pyramids of Egypt, the cathedrals of Rome, the Parthenon of Athens, the Forbidden City in Beijing, our mind is at once awed by the beauty and grandeur of ancient architecture.
- Modern society has viewed much of the world’s ancient architecture & art as “simply decorative” or, as a tribute to God; not that it might have any “practical” function.
- However, recent studies in the field of sacred architecture (Vastu Shastra) by men like Keith Critchlow of the Royal College of Art in London have uncovered hidden dimensions revealing a far-reaching connection between architecture and the nature of existence.
- Critchlow, perhaps the best-known advocate of the theory of sacred architecture, believes that basic architectural principles on the physical level are integral with structure on the metaphysical level.
- Throughout the world it’s hard to find a place where sacred architecture is as developed a science as is that found in India. India’s ancient temples and palaces are certainly among the finest ever built. From the Taj Mahal, the seventh wonder of the world, to the Pagodas of Tamil Nadu, from the Himalayan hill shrines to the great temple at Jagannatha Puri ,The ancient well designed city of “Jaipur”.Which was never know for war but always remained a symbol of prosperity,peace & friendship. India is a veritable treasure-house of sacred architecture. In fact there are more existing examples of sacred architecture in India than in all other countries of the world combined. VastuShastra The knowledge of sacred architecture in India has existed in the oral tradition since before the Vedic Age, some five thousand years ago.
- From the oral tradition it was later recorded in the Sanskrit mantras and compiled under the title Vastu Shastra. According to Indian authorities the Vastu Shastra is possibly the oldest known architectural treatise in the world today.
- The word shastra means literature or more accurately “enlightened literature.”
- Among the vastushastra texts are Mansar, Maymata, Vishwakarma Vastushastra and Samrangana Sutradhara which is credited to Raja Bhoja. The others are believed to have been authored by ancient saints and sages. These include Lord Vishwakarma who is architect to the gods in the Nagara or northern traditions, and Maya who is architect to the gods in the Dravida or Southern tradition. In the northern tradition Maya is regarded as architect to the danavas or demons. To give some idea about the size of the text, Mansar comprises 5400 verses organized in a total of 70 chapters.
LITERATURE ON VASTU SHATRA
- TOWN PLANNING: SKAND PURANA.
- RESIDENTIAL PLANNING: AGNEYE PURANA.
- PLANNING OF TEMPLES: VAYU PURAN
- PLANNING OF RESIDENCE & TEMPLES: GARUR PURAN
- PLANNING OF WATER STORAGE,WELLS,PONDS: NARAD PURAN
- DESIGNING OF COMMUNITY CENTERS & CARVING ETC: MATASYA PURAN
Puranic texts such as Agni Purana, Matsya Purana and their Agmic versions in the Dravidian traditions.
- SAMRANGAN SUTRADHAR.
- VISHVAKARMA PRAKASH.
- VASTU RATNAWALI.
- VISHWAKARMI SHILP.
- SHILP SANGHRALEY.
- CHITRA LAKSHAN.
- MAYAMAT MANSAR.
- VASTU SANDESH.
- MUHURT MARTAND
VASTU PURUSH :MANDAL:
VASTU PURUSH : THE MYTHOLOGY
- Hindu mythology explains the history of how things have come to pass.
- In the beginning, the first living creature was Brahma. He is the creator of the Universe and the first god in the Hindu triad: Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. But, Brahma had a nasty habit of experimenting with some rather impractical creations. Out of the Void, Brahma created a large and monstrous creature that grew so rapidly and large that its shadow fell across the Earth as an eternal eclipse. Then this ever-expanding Monster began to devour everything in its path for nothing could satisfy its insatiable hunger.
- Shiva and Vishnu complained bitterly to the elder Brahma. They begged that something be done before all of Creation was destroyed by this Creature.
- Brahma listened to these complaints and it made him aware of his sovereignty to the other creations. He then called forth the asthadigapalakas, the devas of the eight cardinal directions. Together they overpowered the Great Monster and in one cosmic tackle, they held it flat against the Earth. The god Brahma jumped in the middle and held the Monster down. He then employed forty-five gods to join him and help hold it in place; their positions can be seen on the classic mandela of the Vastu Grid.
- But, the Monster lamented “Why am I being punished for being the very thing you made me?” And, alas, Brahma heeded to its complaint. “We shall compromise”, Brahma said. So, he made the Monster immortal and promised that he would be worshipped by any mortal that built a structure over him. The Monster was pleased and Brahma then named him Vastu Purusa and blessed him with these words: “All works on the earth will have to be commenced and concluded only after propitiating you”. In essence, without respecting Vastu Purusa nothing will happen on the earth.
- The Mandala grid is constructed the same way as the bagua, which is used in Chinese geomancy, with every direction having significance in the well being of its residents. The position of Vastu Pursua and the direction of the natural elements are shown in figure #1.
VASTU SHASTRA: THE SCIENCE OF DIRECTIONS:
- North (uttar) – This Zone should be kept light or open, clean, it is a source of energy. It is considered the house of Kuber or wealth.
- North East (Eshan) – Zone of divine powers.
- North West (Vayavya) – Zone of Air .
- South (Dakshin) :The God of death or Yam or the area of freeing one’s soul (moksha).
- South East (Aagneya) :Zone of fire.Source of health.(related to fire,cooking & food).
- South West (Naruthya) :Zone of Demons. effects the longivity of life.
- West:(Paschima) :Zone of Water.
- East (Purab):Zone of Lord Indra & Lord Sun. It is the second source of energy.
VASTU : PRINCIPALS & EFFECTS
- VASTU IS A SCIENCE TO ENHANCE :
- PEACE,HAPPINESS & PROSPERITY.
- VASTU IS A BALANCE OF POSITIVE ENERGIES.
- DERIVED FROM FIVE ELEMENTS.
- WHICH SHOULD BE PROPERLY PLACED AS REQUIRED BY VASTU NORMS.
- THIS BRINGS HARMONY TO GIVE US THE PEACE,HAPPINESS & PROSPERITY.
SHAPES OF PLOTS:
- Square Plot
- Rectangle Plot
- Circular Plot
- Decagonal Plot
- Triangular Plot
- Wedge Plot
- Dholak-Shaped Plot
- L-Shaped Plot
- Elliptical Plot
- Bow-shaped Plot
- Trapezium-Shaped plot
- Hexagonal Plot
- Octagonal Plot
- Dumroo-Shaped Plot
- Moon-Shaped Plot