Biography: Jean Nouvel was born in 1945 in Fumel, France. He has been working as an architect since 1975, mainly in France, Germany and Japan.
- 1972 – diploma from the Ecole des Beaux-Arts
- 1975 – opens his first architectural studio
- 1981 – wins competition for a series of large-scale projects proposed by President Francois Mitterrand
- 1988 – forms a partnership with Swiss architect Emmanuel Cattani
- 1991 – becomes vice-president of the Institut Frençais d’Architecure
- 1993 – named Honorary Fellow of the American Institute of Architects
Design Philosophy: “ For me, architecture is a modification. A little modification of a landscape, a part of a city, a complement to other buildings, a testimony of an epoch and so on. It’s not a kind of sculpture. “
“My research is always around the idea of specificity and I don’t like to repeat the same vocabulary or to do the same architecture on every spot on the earth.”
– full of simplicity, delicacy, & depth. The Torre Agbar, Barcelona, Spain: Project Details:
- Program: 142 m highrise for the registered office of the company Aigües de Barcelona (AGBAR) + auditorium of 350 places
- Client: Layetana Inmuebles S.L.
- Architects: AJN and b720 (Barcelona Architectural studio)
- Structure: Obiols/Brufau
- Builder: Dragados/Axima/Emte
- Architect/Lobby/Top Management: b720 advised by AJN
- Project Management: Master Igeneria
- General Management: Agbar Servicios Compartidos
Location: Its Key strategic position ensures easy access and proximity to the most important and emblematic places in the city The origin: Inspired by the architectural legacy of Montserrat, the Agbar Tower rises from the ground with the power and lightness of a geyser. Use of 81000 LEDs to produce 16 million colours Bioclimatic Architecture
- Regulation of air flow
- Use of sunlight through building’s orientation
- Energy Efficient
- Use of insulating, recyclable and non-contaminating materials.
- Use of Renewable Energy sources in design.
- 8500 windows designed to achieve natural ventilation.
- Double glazing
Materials & Energy Efficiency:
- No material is used that contains formaldehyde, asbestos or lead.
- Optimization of elevator routes using a computer system to avoid unnecessary consumption and ensure service for people with special needs.
- Average solar heat gain : 25.11 %.
- Natural Heating and Ventilation through louvers.
- Temperature sensors on external façade.
Use of sunlight: Fritted Louvers
- provide partial shade to the building’s surface, and
- create a ventilation space that allows heat to rise and escape before reaching the thermal envelope behind.
A Business Tower
- It announces the location of the new barcelona business centre like a lighthouse attracting businesses for the immediate future.
- At the doors of the new business district 22 in Barcelona.
- Priviledged work environment with singular prestige.
- Column free spaces
- Free height 2.6m
- Encapsulated technical floor
- 1500kg/m² load bearing steel false ceiling.
- Embedded sprinklers and lights
- Modular furniture
- One kitchen per floor
- 28 floors : Office Use
- 03 floors : Refugee floors
- 01 floor : Cafeteria
- 01 floor : Multipurpose Room
- 01 floor : Panoramic View
- 8 Elevators +
- 1 Service Elevator +
- 02 floors : Auditorium + Services
- 02 floors : Parking
- The interior design is based on the energy and colour of its exterior skin